Monday, May 2, 2011

WE are Woman: Beginnings

This blog began as a concept earlier this year, but perhaps it has been a long time in the making. I will begin first of all with a little background about me. I am an artist born and currently living in Trinidad, an island in the Caribbean.


I suppose my interest in understanding myself as woman began about 4 years ago. After going away to college in New York, miles away from home I had a lot of opportunity to try to understand myself and who I was in the world. I developed very strong feelings that eventually developed into strong views about myself and who I am as a woman. I became more aware of how other women feel and interact with each other as well as with men  and the complexity of feelings they feel towards themselves.
I also began to observe how they were both treated and viewed by men.


When I describe myself I say that I am a woman with strong female views. I prefer to reject labels that seek to define us because I believe labels only lead to separation rather than integration. It is truly sad that Feminism has long been viewed negatively. I cannot count the times I have dropped the F word and almost instantaneously seen the look of disgust on the face of men and women alike. Whilst I would not like to disassociate myself and "We are Woman" with the term, I would like to allow for an open mind as we focus on understanding ourselves and the women that shape our lives.


Much of my inspiration for this blog came from my current body of art, which focuses on the female and using that as a platform to understand myself and all women better. On a even more personal level I felt that need to connect to others. As mother's day approaches I find it no better time to begin this blog and hope that it becomes a place of constructive conversation about ourselves and all the women that surround us.


Some issues this blog will focus on :
* Relationships and Woman
* Woman and motherhood
* Woman and equality
* Woman and body issues
* Woman in the media
* Negative views of Woman
* Perceptions of Women by men

No comments:

Post a Comment